The official higher education statistics in Germany only record and analyse the degrees with which a course of academic studies can be completed, i.e. final examinations. Intermediate examinations are not documented.
The official student statistics record the target degrees, while the official examination statistics record passes and fails. "Wissenschaft weltoffen" only presents data on target degrees and degrees gained.
The classification system used to record and analyse the examination data has three levels:
- Type of studies (e.g. first degree course) - See: Types of studies
- Degree groups (e.g. university Diplom degree) as a grouping of degrees with similar content - See: Degree groups
- Degrees (e.g. a Magister degree which is placed into one of the above-mentioned typical degree groups)
"Wissenschaft weltoffen" only presents data on the first two levels.
The current, full classification is to be found in each new edition of the following series published by the Federal Statistical Office (Statistisches Bundesamt):
- Bildung und Kultur, Fachserie 11, Reihe 4.2 - Prüfungen an Hochschulen (Academic Degrees)
- Bildung und Kultur, Fachserie 11, Reihe 4.1 - Studierende Wintersemester (Students in the Winter Semester)
These publications are also to be found at the following address: www.destatis.de (https://www.destatis.de/DE/Publikationen/Thematisch/BildungForschungKultur/Hochschulen/BroschuereHochschulenBlick.html)