Wissenschaft weltoffen 2017

German higher education institutions

Higher education institutions serve to cultivate and develop science and art through research, teaching and studies. They prepare students for professions which require the formation and application of academic and scientific knowledge and methods or the ability to engage in artistic creativity.

The official higher education statistics record all German higher education institutions which have been recognised by the law of the state in which they are located, regardless of how they are funded (public or private institutions). The official higher education statistics have defined various types of higher education institutions and have grouped them together as follows in Wissenschaft weltoffen:

Types of higher education institutions
Official Statistics
Types of higher education institutions
Universities and university status institutions (including colleges of art and music). Universities
Comprehensive universities (up to summer semester 2002)
Universities of education
Theological/Church-maintained colleges
Colleges of art and music
Fachhochschulen (FH universities of applied science) FH universities of applied science (excluding FH universities of public administration)
FH universities of public administration (Verwaltungsfachhochschulen)

Each higher education institution recorded by the official statistics' higher education institution classification is placed into one of these categories.

Winter semester 2010/11 saw a total of 415 higher education institutions in Germany (386 for graduation year 2011), of which 126 were universities and institutions of similar status (122 for graduation year 2011), 51 colleges of art and music/universities of the arts, 232 universities of applied sciences including universities of public administration (213 for graduation year 2011).

Information on the types of higher education institutions contained in the official statistics:

The graduate statistics recognise 2 other types of higher education institutions. Since some academic degrees, such as doctorates, do not require graduates to be matriculated up to the time of their final examination, cases may occur where the higher education institution at which graduates were last matriculated no longer exist or that the graduates were last matriculated abroad. These cases are recorded as "other higher education institutions" or "higher education institutions abroad".

previous | next

Hinweis auf Druckansucht Terms of use